2013 begins!!

Happy new year to one and all, I hope you all had a great last practice in 2012 and have an even better first practice of 2013!

I worked off my holiday belly this morning by joining Kangeiko at Komazawa University. Since its holiday season in Japan, the dojo was packed with people of all ages taking part in the first keiko of the new year.

Kangeiko is the first practice of the year, the name means cold practice or winter practice, it has a reputation of being tough, and I'm happy to say it didn't disappoint!

Keiko kicked off early (before the stated starting time of 10am) with plenty of kirikaeshi followed by mowarigeiko (practice with everyone just rotating between fights) at about 10:20 the drum rang out to stop mowarikeiko and begin queuing for the Sensei. There were a lot of people and a lot of Sensei, but I didn't get to practice with many!

I practiced with one Sensei who absolutely battered me, he was lightning fast! He put me on my back side too! It took so long to que for him that I decided to try the shorter lines further from the top end. I got two more keiko before the drum signaled the end.

So if I can get away with it I'll go to kill this evening too, but if not its back to business as usual later in the week

Roll on EKC 2013 in Berlin!





Share:

0 comments