Grading Questions! No 1

Ok, so i recieved my grading questions yesterday. there are 10 in total, and two will be asked on the day. I now have the challange of translating and memorizing the answers i just over 2 and a half weeks.

Its not like im going for 7dan and will have to answer insanly difficuly questions, most seem to be just on very basic kendo, but, it will be a great test and great boost for my Japanese! I honestly think I would be ok without the translated answers, but im sure I will learn a GREAT deal!

Ok, so the first question.

Explain the 3 types of Rei in Kendo.

In the etiquette of kendo, there are three methods of rei as follows:

All should be performed with sincerity, and we should always ensure to conduct ourselves with good manners.
(maybe the last part means we should always perform the rei correctly/correct manner)

1. From correct standing posture, lean the upper body forward approximately 30 degrees to perform rei.

This standing bow should be preformed before places such as the Shinzen (not sure of meaning, before god?) Kamiza (high place) and when facing Sensei/seniors.

2. From the correct standing posture, lean the upper body forward approximately 15 degrees to perform rei.

Pay attention to your opponent/look at your opponent as you rei. 目礼 bowing with eye contact.

3. From the seated "Seiza" posture. Before leaning the upper body, place both hands on the floor, in the shape of a triangle, at the same time. (八の字 figure of 8, shape of the kanji for 8 八 what a wonderful expression!)

Calmly/smoothly lower your head while aiming your nose at the centre of this shape.
After a short pause/length of one breath, raise both hands from the floor and return to the original seated position.

This is Zarei 座礼

Well that's the first. Ive only been seriously studying Japanese for about 6 months, and I've used my iPhone for the translations. I don't fully understand Japanese grammar, but I think I have read enough kendo books and had advice from enough Sensei (as well as my own teaching experience) to figure out what is being said on the whole.

My translations will not be perfect, but, being honest and trying to remain humble, I don't think I will have a problem with this test. I was expecting more difficult questions for sandan, though maybe as this test is aimed at younger kenshi (high school students mostly) in general it is slightly easier than in the west.




Share:

0 comments