OK! so today, I made Oyako don!

Oyako don is a really popular Japanese Donburi dish, and is pretty tasty!!
Its made with Chicken and Egg, and is served in a donburi (large bowl) on top of hot rice.
Oya means parent and Ko means child, so clever eh??

So here are the ingredients! 
Onion

Mitsuba
Mirin

Shoyu (soy sauce)

Cooking Sake
And of course parent and child. Chicken and Egg.

First step is to mix the ingredients for the sauce. 
  • 1 tbsp of shoyu
  • 1/2 tbsp mirin
  • 1/2 tbsp sake
  • 1 cube of sugar
  • Enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. 
Most recipes call for dashi stock, but I didnt have any, so I used a drop of mentsuyu (noodle dipping sauce) which was made using konbo (which is a main ingredient in dashi)

Mix these ingredients in the pan and bring to the boil. Add chopped onions and simmer for about 2 mins. 


Next add chicken


Cover with the lid and simmer for about 5 mins, or untill chicken is cooked




Covered pan


Chicken Cooked!

Next lightly whisk the two eggs, pour about 3/4's of the egg over the chicken and sauce, stir lightly and cover for 2 mins.

After 2 mins, add the rest of the egg and the mitsuba. Cover with the lid and turn off the heat. Let settle and serve over hot rice.

Im no master chef, but I was pretty happy with this dinner! The photos are from my iphone, so may not look the most appetising!

In future, I would increase the amount of shoyu and mirin in the sauce, just a little bit. I dont think I added too much water, but the flavour was a little weak, practice makes perfect right??
I also cooked the egg a bit too much. Im not sure how runny it is supposed to be, but alot of the videos ive seen have very runny egg.


Share:

0 comments